In 2013, the Institute for Sustainable Communities released Vermont’s Roadmap to Resilience (download the full report; download the executive summary). The report offers 23 recommendations for advancing the community, economic and environmental resilience of our state. The recommendations were developed through an 18-month stakeholder engagement process.
About our process:
Over the course of the 18-month project, the Institute for Sustainable Communities held three stakeholder convenings:
- Building the Foundation for Success – October 11, 2012
- The Solutions Summit – May 20-21, 2013
- The Roadmap to Resilience- September 13, 2013
Each of these convenings gathered more than 60 participants representing local, regional, state and federal perspectives. Stakeholders also represented different areas of expertise, including community planning and development, economic development, business, infrastructure, emergency management, transportation, social services and disaster recovery.
Stakeholders were invited to join 3 working groups that met over the winter of 2012 to work through the input of the first workshop and distill sets of recommendations in three key areas: infrastructure, emergency management and land use. Download the list of Working Group Recommendations.
In addition to the statewide summits, ISC also convened six local focus groups in three regions across the state in the summer of 2013. A total of 50 people attended representing 31 municipalities and a variety of nonprofits and small businesses. Download the Local Leaders Focus Groups Report.
From Summit 3: Creating the Roadmap to Resilience
- Draft Roadmap Recommendations
- Overview of Draft Recommendations by Steve Nicholas and Debra Perry
- Keypad Polling Results
Summit 3 Video
|Welcome & Overview of Draft Recommendations||Vermont Leaders Discuss the Draft Recommendations|
From Summit 2: The Solutions Summit
- Taking Stock of Vermont’s Resilience
- Creating a More Resilient Vermont: Where Have We Been, Where Are We Going, and How Can We Get There? By Steve Nicholas and Debra Perry
- List of Working Group Recommendations
- 2050 Climate Projections: Strategizing for an Uncertain Future by Leslie-Ann L. Dupigny-Giroux
- Spotlight on Governance and Collaboration by Steve Adams
- Vermont’s First Comprehensive Economic Development Plan by Kenneth Jones
- Climate Change Adaptation Program at the Vermont Department of Health by David Grass
Summit 2 Video
Welcoming Remarks Jeb Spaulding
2050 Climate Projections
Creating a More Resilient Vermont
Spotlight on Governance and Collaboration
From Summit 1: Building the Foundation for Success